The implementation of any technology can be daunting. However, as we have seen with COVID-19 especially, it is a great enabler and promotes efficiency, profitability, and even job satisfaction to those staff appropriately trained and using it well.
It should disrupt the workplace as that is what technology is designed to do and therefore will require change management and leadership to see its appropriate and most effective implementation.
To Consider Prior to Implementation
The most important element to consider when acquiring new software is to have a clear objective – what is the problem you are trying to solve or how will the technology make your life easier – why are you doing it?
Technology Can Assist in Many Ways – For Example:
- Automation of repetitive tasks like document generation
- Reduction in re-keying data
- Ensuring consistency of production
- Speeding up the process to free up time for more added-value activities
- Communication across teams
- A single view of client interactions
- Management of risk
- Process improvement and management
- Using the right resource for the right task
- Attracting a new client base
- Changing the way you interact with clients
- Fighting off new entrants to a marketplace/disrupting a marketplace
In summary, have a clear idea of why you need and want this technology – it will help in communication to staff and managing the change.
The Potential Downfalls
It is unrealistic to believe that any new technology comes with no change or any disadvantage, so make sure that the solution does innovate, and any advantages outweigh the disadvantages some may feel.
Some implementations fail – but why?
- Lack of leadership – failure to communicate, or give in at an early stage
- No explanation of why or how it will be implemented
- Insufficient training of staff so they can’t reap the benefits promised
- Poor change management – especially those most resistant to change
- Lack of investment – implementing an inferior product due to cost
- Rushed or poor onboarding with no follow-up afterward